To Serve and Protect
The Carter County Sheriff's Office has a vast history that dates back to the early 1900's. Serving over 46,000 residents in 834 square miles.
The Sheriff's Office is committed to serving the residents of Carter County to not only police the area but to make it a safe place to live for its residents.
The Carter County Sheriff's Office
Chris Bryant - Sheriff
With extensive administrative experience in corporate America and 15 years of law enforcement as a reserve deputy with Carter County, Chris Bryant was elected Sheriff in 2016 and took office in January of 2017.
Since taking office he has reduced the budget and brought back morale and respect to the department.
"I appreciate the opportunity the citizens of Carter County have given me and I won’t let them down."
- 15 years Reserve Deputy with Carter County Sheriff's Office
- 2 years Reserve Deputy of the Love County Sheriff's Office
- Serves on the Children's Shelter Board of Directors
- Serves on the Good Shepherd Community Clinic Board of Directors
- Involved in many local civic organizations
Tommy "Gus" Handke - Undersheriff
I am the Undersheriff for the Carter County Sheriff's Office in Ardmore, OK. I have a broad range of experience in law enforcement with a strong management background. Some of my qualifications are listed below:
- December 2016 - Present Undersheriff at Carter County Sheriff's Office
- 2011 - 2016 Narcotics Investigator at Carter County Sheriff's Office
- 2009 - 2011 Served as Chief of Police with City of Healdton Police Department
- 2003 - 2009 Served as Police Chief City of Minco (OK)
- Served on the Carter County Sheriff’s Department Special Response Team for over three and a half years, 2010-2014 (S.W.A.T. certified)
- Graduate of the Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training Criminal Investigation Academy
- Certified as Basic Hostage Negotiator
- Hold an Advanced Law Enforcement Certification from the Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training
- Hold a Basic Terrorism Certification through (C.L.E.E.T.)
- Served as the Ward 4 City Council member on the Healdton City Council
- Chosen to serve as Vice-Mayor for the Healdton City Council
- Completed classes in the Masters of Leadership Program at MACU, graduating in May 2019
- Sigma Beta Delta Honor Society member at MACU during Masters Program
Asst. Jail Administrator